The Admirals built an early lead against the second best team in the MCL on Sunday, but the Vikings showed why they are only two games behind the DuPage Hounds in sole possession of first place as they rallied from an early 3-1 deficit and scored the winning run in walk-off fashion in the bottom of the seventh.
Stefano Belmonte’s third inning grand slam fueled the rally and it was the precursor for the Vikings victory against the Admirals. The Admirals tied the ballgame up at six in the sixth, but Belmonte came through yet again for the Vikings when his single brought Micah Rooke home for the winning run.
We take a closer look at the box-score providing you with some key notes and facts from this game.
Joliet Admirals vs Southland Vikings: 6-7
- Winning Pitcher: 99 – Anthony Spangler
- Losing Pitcher: 12 – Brian Donley
HR: J.Evak (3), J.Terry (2).
RBI: J.Evak (10), J.Terry 2 (10), J.Martinez (4), L.Fleener (3).
Team LOB: 8.
2B: K.King (1), J.Boehm (7).
HR: S.Belmonte (3).
RBI: D.Potempa (17), S.Belmonte 5 (15).
CS: J.Hickey (1).
Team LOB: 7.
BF: T.Aguila 31, B.Donley 2.
P-S: T.Aguila 95-56, B.Donley 6-4.
BF: R.Fordan 27, J.Freeman 5, A.Spangler 3.
P-S: R.Fordan 87-54, J.Freeman 9-8, A.Spangler 13-9.
INSIDE THE BOX-SCORE:
- Jeff Evak’s red-hot hitting continued against the Vikings as he went 2 for 4, including a solo home run, which was his third on the season.
- Jermaine Terry contributed to the power display as he blasted his second home run of the season. His ten RBI’s tie him as team leader with Evak.
- Javier Martinez went 2 for 4 with an RBI.
- Hitters two through four combined 6 for 12, 4 RBI’s, 2 runs scored, two home runs and not a single one of
- In the defeat, the Admirals out-hit the Vikings 10-9.
- Both the Vikings and the Admirals struggled on defense in this game as they combined for ten errors. Admirals had four while the Vikings had six.
- Stefano Belmonte for the Vikings had 5 RBI’s.
- It was only the second game of the season where the Admirals did not register a stolen base as they only had one stolen base attempt.